Sunday, November 18, 2018

Entry 4

While taking this course, I was simultaneously taking second language acquisition. I felt that taking these two classes at the same time was at times very difficult, but also very insightful and I was able to make immediate connections between the two classes. I now understand how much work it takes to learn a second language as well as all of the different factors that can either hinder or benefit a person’s ability to learn a second language. 
This class has impacted my professional practice by creating an eye-opening experience for me. The fact that the U.S. Census Bureau identified 381 different languages spoken in our homes across our country (Wright, 2015, p.8) amazes me. As future educators, we must remind ourselves that everyone has a different background and that background influences their learning, abilities and personal experiences. We must never forget that since all of our students are different from each other in so many different ways, that we must do our best to cater to their needs in order to make sure they are successful in our classroom. We must know what accommodations are necessary and how to properly implement them in our classroom for our students. It has also impacted my professional practice by showing me different strategies I want to incorporate into my future classroom. Social interaction is so important for ELLs. I want to make sure that I have the most time available for them to socialize with others in our classroom. Wright (2015) “The most important and beneficial listening and speaking that students will do is through interaction with the teacher, their fellow ELLs, and proficient English speakers within the sociocultural contexts of their classroom, school, and neighborhood. Interaction is crucial for English language development” (Pg.170).
I feel that there are no concepts that we were taught in this class that should be skipped over. I found this class to be very informative and insightful. The information that we were given from the readings, PowerPoints and summaries was helpful to making sure that we understood all concepts being discussed in this class. I also found the VBlogs to be beneficial to my learning as well. We were able to see many different ideas being discussed between our other classmates. It gave me the opportunity to learn from my peers and get a sense of classroom community even though this is an online class. Those two concepts are something that we have been taught to do in our future classrooms and seeing how beneficial it was, just proves that it isn’t a waste of time. Normally with an online class it is hard to accomplish all of these things, but we were able to do it with this class and it shows how beneficial that type of teaching can be when done properly. 
This course helped me to realize just how important a great teacher is to an English Language Learner. One person can be such a huge influence (either positive or negative) to someone who is learning a language. It makes me think of my philosophy with ELLs in a deeper way. It reminds me to also support and be respectful to those who are learning a new language and to incorporate that respect and support into my students who aren’t learning a new language. I want to create life-long learners in my classroom, but I also want to instill the idea of respecting others into my students as well. 


Wright, Wayne (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caston, Second Edition.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Mackenzie! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your VBLOG reflection, and I commend you on taking both Second Language Acquisitions at the same time as Second Language Methodologies! I know it must have been a jam-packed semester for you, but you made it through and now you only have a couple of classes left before you graduate! I completely agree with you on the fact that this class was extremely beneficial and the VBlogs definitely helped me make deeper connections between the textbook and the real world. I love all of the strategies and accommodations that this book talks about, but one of my favorite strategies are the productive talk moves that Wright (2015) explains as effective mathematical strategies that “support student thinking and learning around targeted instruction concepts; Revoicing, Repeating, Reasoning, Adding on, and Waiting” (p. 158-159). I love this five-step strategy because it can be implemented in any part of the classroom and with any subject. I greatly appreciated the opportunity to read your VBLOG. I wish you the best of luck in your future as an educator in Texas, you are going to be an amazing teacher!



    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan!
      Thank you so much! This year has been a whirlwind for me, but I am glad that it is finally starting to calm down a little bit. I found learning about the different strategies was one of the most beneficial things I took away from this class. Wright (2015) mentions that a teacher should use a “wide variety of techniques, such as total physical response (TPR), ample visuals and realia, small group work, and any other activities involving meaningful communication that can facilitate the provision of comprehensible input" (2015, p. 61). I feel that all of these strategies are great to use with ELLs inside of the classroom. I would love to use them in my future classroom with any ELLs that I may have. Thanks for taking the time to read my bog. I wish you the best of luck as well. The way you teach and work with kids truly is inspiring!

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition

      Delete
    2. Hello Mackenzie, I completely agree with you about the wide variety of techniques and strategies that are beneficial for ELL students within the classroom! Small groups work wonders, but one of my favorite strategies is the holistic approach. Wright (2015) explains this approach as “bilingual educational programs that reflect a holistic bilingual perspective bringing the two languages together in intentional strategic ways” where the teachers “place[s] the two languages side by side…as they teach to the potential...student trajectories” (p. 59). I know it seems like a lot of work, but I believe the work is definitely beneficial to the student. Good luck in your future, and I cannot wait to see where life takes you!



      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition

      Delete
  2. Hi Mackenzie! I am finding it challenging to even comment on your blog because your entry was very well written! Kudos to you for taking both SLA and SLM simultaneously. I completely am onboard with literally everything you stated within your entry. This class has been extremely influential in the aspect, as you mentioned, of introducing me to a variety of strategies. I think that is one of my main take-aways from this course. In addition, I always knew that as teachers' we had a huge impact on our students, we are definitely influencers and role models. Wright states that the five functions we must perform that directly impact our work with our ELLs include; teacher as a communicator, as an educator, an evaluator, an educated human being, and as an agent of socialization (Wright, 2015, p.28-29). Therefore, it is imperative we have a thorough understanding of language, for it is the heart of teaching and learning. Our classroom is a language environment and yes, socialization and having our ELLs provided optimal time to socialize and contribute in the classroom, lessons, and activities is crucial for their language development. Great job Mackenzie! Enjoy your holiday break!

    Wright, Wayne (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caston, Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amanda,
      Thank you so much for the kind words about my refelction! Being in the field has really made me realize just how much an impact that we have on our students, they really see us as super hereos. I like how you mentioned that teachers are the agents of socialization. Wright (2015) mentions that cooperative learning “is a form of scaffolding provided by classroom peers that contributes to the oral development of ELLs in several ways” (p.170). I feel that as teachers we need to incorporate cooperate learning into our classrooms to encourage socialization between students and ELLs. You are so right that language is the heart of teaching and learning. I hope you enjoy your holiday break with your sweet kiddos! You all deserve it!


      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition

      Delete
  3. Hello Mackenzie! I really enjoyed reading your blog post and I agree with you on a lot of things. As future educators, we need to understand the students background and culture and the way It affects them in the classroom. We also need to understand how diverse the students can be and how even though they might be from the same country, they can still have linguistic differences. Wright talks about how even though multiple students may come from a Spanish speaking country, it is important to understand the many different indigenous groups within those countries and how they can all have their own unique languages and cultures (Wright, 2015, p. 10).

    Wright, Wayne (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caston, Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zoe,
      Thank you so much for the kind words about my blog! I think knowing about each of our students’ individual backgrounds is crucial to understanding them and how they learn and work in your classroom. Wright says it’s important for teachers to understand the students cultural background and how their culture influences their learning (Wright, 2015, p. 17). I think this is an important aspect in teaching ELLs that way you are able to know how to best help them to be successful in your classroom.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hello Zoe! I loved reading your comment and I agree completely with what you stated about getting to know the culture that our kids come from. Our book even states that knowing things such as their parents "educational history, employment, and proficiency in English and other languages"(Wright 2015 pg 23). It is so much deeper than just knowing what type of culture our kids come from. We must look into any thing appropriate for us to know so that we can help the kids further their education as much as possible.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mackenzie! I really enjoyed reading your post about your experience throughout this class! I can not believe you took this class at the same time as second language acquisitions! That must have been really tough but that is an awesome advantage you had to make those instant connections between the classes. You talked about how important it is for us to keep in mind that all students come from different backgrounds and how they are all different in their own ways! I agree with this completely and also know that it is shown through our text book when Wright says “it is important for teachers to understand the students cultural back ground and how their culture influences their learning”. (Wright 2015. 17) In my opinion this is one of the most important things we can look to make sure we do in our classrooms when we are educators.

    ReplyDelete